Other causes of bad breath include:
- a dry mouth (especially in the morning)
- unclean dentures
To treat bad breath:
- Brush your teeth and clean between them with dental floss, tooth picks or interdental brushes.
- Clean your tongue: The odour-causing bacteria can be hidden under a layer of mucous on your tongue. So, clean your tongue daily using effective and inexpensive tongue scrapers to remove the mucous layer from the back of your tongue. The ideal time is when you first get out of bed.
- Use good-quality mouthrinses that contain essential oils or chlorine dioxide.
- Avoid “dry mouth” by drinking more water.
- Visit your dentist for a check-up, to check the cause of your bad breath (it could be tooth decay, or a gum infection leaking pus) and get your plaque and tartar professionally removed.